Gingivitis is quite common and affects almost everyone at some point in their lives. However, the symptoms might be so mild that one may not realize they have gingivitis.
Common symptoms of gingivitis include; inflammation of the gum, bad breath, redness of the gum, puffy gum, tender gum, receding gum, and loose teeth.
Major causes of gingivitis include; poor oral hygiene, diabetes, use and/or smoking of tobacco, poor diet, dry mouth and poor dental restoration.
Basic oral health habits such as brushing twice a day, flossing regularly, routine dental checkup, can go a long way in preventing gingivitis.
If gingivitis is left untreated, it could lead to tooth loss or severe infections such as periodontitis.
Below are 17 natural home remedies and treatments to prevent and treat gingivitis;
1. Use Ginger Tea As Mouthwash. Ginger Has Antimicrobial And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Makes It An Effective Home Remedy For Gingivitis Especially When There Is Severe Inflammation And Gum Tenderness. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609356/)
2. Chew Cloves Intermittently. Cloves Have Antiseptic, Anti-Inflammatory, Analgesic And Antioxidant Properties That Makes It Effective For Gingivitis And Other Mouth And Gum Diseases. However, Avoid Cloves If You Are On Blood Thinning Medication. (https://www.akamaibasics.com/blogs/learn-more/the-superpowers-of-clove-for-healthy-teeth-gums)
3. Apply Turmeric Powder To Gum And Teeth. Curcumin, In Turmeric, Has Antimicrobial, Antioxidant And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Help Reduce Gum Pain, Swelling Of Gum, As Well As Prevent And Inhibit Harmful Bacteria Growth. (http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/turmeric-paste-gum-disease.html)
4. Use Antimicrobial And Antiseptic Mouthwash Twice Daily To Prevent Plaque Formation And Gingivitis. (https://www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/oral-rinses-for-periodontal-health-simplified/)
5. Use Diluted Lemon Juice As Mouthwash After Brushing Your Teeth. This Helps Reduce Receding Gum And Gum Bleeding Due To Gingivitis. Lemon Has Antioxidant (Due To Its Vitamin C), Antibacterial And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Reduce Swelling And Inhibit Infectious Growth In The Mouth And Gum. (https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1304753832)
6. Keep Your Gum Hydrated By Drinking Water And Also Rinse Mouth After Meal With Water. (http://www.austinpug.org/the-importance-of-hydration-for-oral-health/)
7. Drink Unsweetened Cranberry Juice To Inhibit Microbial Growth As Cranberry Has Antioxidant And Antimicrobial Properties. (https://thescienceofnutrition.me/2013/06/11/how-cranberry-benefits-oral-health/)
8. Do Oil Pulling On Your Teeth And Mouth. Take A Teaspoon Of Coconut Oil Or Sesame Oil And Swish In Your Mouth And Teeth For 5 Minutes. Spit Out Thereafter. Do This In The Morning Before Brushing Your Teeth. Do Not Swallow The Oil. Oil Pulling Would Help Reduce Bacteria Growth, Reduce Plaque Formation, And Help Strengthen Gum. It Is An Effective Remedy For Gingivitis. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4382606/)
9. Use Toothpaste With Antiseptic And Antimicrobial Properties To Prevent Gingivitis. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0061266/)
10. Use Guava Leaf Tea As Mouthwash. Guaijaverin, In Guava Leaves, Acts As An Anti-plaque Agent. Guava Leaves Also Have Anti-Inflammatory, Analgesic And Antimicrobial Properties That Helps Prevent Toothache And Gum Inflammation And Diseases. (http://www.ideaexplore.net/uses/Chewing-guava-leaf.php)
11. Ensure You Do Regular Dental Checkup. (https://www.cdc.gov/family/checkup/index.htm)
12. Rinse And Gargle Mouth With Saline Water. Salt Has Antiseptic And Antibacterial Properties That Can Be Used To Treat Inflamed Gums. Salt Also Inhibits The Growth Of Bacteria-Causing Gingivitis. (http://www.in.gov/isdh/18741.htm)
13. Apply A Paste Of Baking Soda To Your Gum. Leave For 3 Minutes. Rinse Mouth Thereafter. Baking Soda Is A Natural Antiseptic That Prevents The Growth Of Harmful Microbe In The Mouth. Baking Soda’s Alkaline Nature Also Helps To Neutralize The Acidic Nature Of The Mouth. Thus Reducing Gum Disease, Such As Gingivitis, And Tooth Decay. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19278079)
14. Drink Green Tea Or Use Green Tea As Mouthwash. Green Tea Is Rich In Antioxidants And Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties Inhibits The Growth Of Bacteria In The Mouth As Well As Reduce Gum Swelling. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459493/)
15. Avoid Usage Of Tobacco As It Can Harm Your Mouth And Gum As Well As Exacerbate Gingivitis. (http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/diseases/periodontal-gum-disease.html)
16. Drink Peppermint Tea Or Use Peppermint Tea As Mouthwash. Peppermint Helps Reduce Bacteria Growth In The Mouth And Swelling In The Gum Due To Its Antibacterial And Anti-Inflammatory Properties. Peppermint Is Also Good For Getting Rid Of Bad Breath. (http://peppermintjim.com/have-you-tried-peppermint-spearmint-oil-for-oral-hygiene/)
17. Apply Fresh Aloe Vera Pulp/Gel Directly To The Gum. Aloe Vera Has Potent Antimicrobial And Healing Properties That Makes It Effective For Gingivitis. Due To Its Antimicrobial Properties, It Prevents The Growth Of Bacteria That Can Lead To Plaque-Causing Gingivitis. Its Anti-Inflammatory Properties Help Reducing Swelling Of Inflamed Gum. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4439686/)
Pin To Pinterest