Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by one or more of the following; not being able to control your behavior, being overactive and difficulty in keeping focus on a particular task.
It is not clear what causes ADHD. However, it often begins in childhood and may be influenced by hereditary factors, social factors, environmental factors, and brain injuries. Furthermore, ADHD is diagnosed more in boys than in girls.
Symptoms of ADHD are categorized into three;
- Being extremely active (hyperactivity)
- Difficulty in controlling behavior (impulsivity)
- Difficulty in staying focus (inattentiveness)
Appropriate diagnosis of ADHD is needed before treatment commences as children develop and mature at different rates and have varying temperaments and personalities. Extreme variances, in children, should not be hastily tagged as ADHD.
Here are tips and good practices, to consider when dealing with a child with ADHD;
- Endeavor to establish a routine for your child from wake-up time, in the morning, to bedtime at night. This would help establish some order and discipline for the child.
- Keep important items in specifically designated areas so that your child would know where to put them if he ever removes them.
- Never forget to show your child lots of love and affection.
- Always be looking for new ways to develop your child’s sense of discipline.
- Support your child in keeping his personal space and belonging tidy and organized.
- Ensure your child gets adequate rest and sleep as being overly tired could worsen ADHD symptoms.
- Always be calm and patient when dealing with a child with ADHD even when the child is extremely hyperactive.
- Use simple words and maintain eye contact when giving instructions to your child.
- Praise or reward the child when he follows the rules.
Below are 19 home remedies and natural treatments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD);
1. Grape seed extract will help you deal with ADHD symptoms.
Grape seed extract is useful because it contains bioflavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants. In particular, the extract will help ensure that the brain remains protected from being exposed to harmful substances, and to toxins that have harmful side effects.
Furthermore, grape seed extract will help improve circulation and blood flow in the brain area, thereby allowing the brain to nourish itself properly. You can add the extract to the food you prepare, or buy it in the form of a supplement.
Alternatively, you can also eat grapes, whether fresh or dried. You can even use grapeseed oil as part of aromatherapy treatments; breathe the vapors it produces, and you will find that your mind would calm down.
2. Lemon balm (Melissa Officinalis) is an excellent remedy.
Not only will this herb reduce anger, agitation, and restlessness, it would also calm down emotions and brain hyperactivity. Drink lemon balm as a tea by crushing the leaves to get a powder or extract, then add this substance to water. This can then be taken as a tea, to which you can add sugar or honey to improve the taste.
3. Valerian root will help you relax and calm down.
Valerian root would also help you sleep better. It will also help decrease your restlessness, agitation, and aggressive impulses because it would calm your nerves down. Tea made from valerian root is the best way to consume this remedy.
4. Passionflower would help alleviate ADHD-induced insomnia.
This way, you or your child will be able to sleep without feeling like you’ve been sedated. Moreover, the herb will help prevent muscle spasms.
5. Ginkgo biloba is a healthy natural remedy.
Ginkgo biloba, a herb that hails from China, helps focus and improve cognitive skills and memory capacity so that you or your child can remember more info for a longer amount of time. Ginkgo biloba does this by improving the way the brain uses and controls oxygen, and by helping increase the number of neurotransmitters in the brain. You can use gingko by consuming it in tincture form, or by adding it to your tea every day. Ginkgo biloba can also be purchased in capsule form.
6. Catnip is of great help in calming overactive minds.
Catnip would reduce the severity of ADHD symptoms such as tension or stress, hyperactivity, and restlessness, and help get rid of headaches caused by ADHD. Catnip would also help you sleep better at night so that you won’t be waking up, intermittently, all through the night. Interestingly, catnip will also help alleviate other problems, such as stomach aches, diarrhea, mood swings, colic issues, and hysteric episodes.
7. Fill up on omega-3 fatty acids with seeds.
Include seeds such as pumpkin seeds and flax seeds in your diet. They are rich in nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids as well as magnesium and, as such, offer a whole host of health benefits other than relieving the symptoms of ADHD.
8. Water hyssop (also known as Brahmi or Bacopa Monnieri) is also a good remedy.
Water hyssop functions by calming people down and reducing their hyperactivity. As such, water hyssop is sedative in nature. In addition, it will help improve users’ cognitive skills, clarify their focus, and aid in their concentration. You can take capsules of the herb, or add its powder to your diet. You can also add it to your drinks, either cold or hot, that you would normally drink throughout the day.
9. California poppy will help you alleviate symptoms of ADHD.
California poppy balances and soothes the nerves and also has the effect of calming down both children and adults. California poppy is a sedative, which will reduce the intensity of emotions. You can use this remedy by adding California poppy to your tea, or by mixing it together with water. This remedy can be used once a day. You can also ingest it in powder or capsule form.
10. Kava root is a helpful remedy for ADD or ADHD.
Kava root would help reduce your stress and tension levels, as well as any aggression, anger, or frustration that are due to ADHD. Kava root would also stop your mood swings and help you sleep better by maintaining a regular sleep schedule.
11. Skullcap (Scutellaria Baicalensis) can be used for common ADHD symptoms such as agitation, irritation, and crying jags.
Skullcap would help you calm down, reduce a headache severity and naturally induce sleep. You can use every part of the plant —flowers, stems and leaves— when treating your ADD or ADHD. For example, you can make a tea (which is best taken hot) out of this herb. You can also buy it in the form of a tincture or packaged bottles.
12. Dried chamomile flowers: a surprise, but a welcome one.
In fact, this herb is one of the herbs that’s used the most to curtail ADHD symptoms. This is because it helps you calm down, which in turn would help regulate your mood, improve your attention span, and reduce your inclination toward hyperactivity. Use this remedy by adding a teaspoon of dried flowers to one cup of hot water. Steep the solution for five minutes, strain it, and add a little honey. This remedy is best used if you drink it right before bedtime.
13. Hops do more than just constitute beer; they are also an effective remedy for symptoms of ADHD.
Hops tend to tranquilize the functioning of the nervous system which, in turn, reduces nerve tension, restlessness, insomnia, and over-the-top excitement. Use hops as a remedy by brewing it into tea. Interestingly, you can also stuff your pillows with hops before you go to sleep. This remedy works because hops flowers have a soothing scent which will help you sleep, thus calming down your restlessness.
14. Fish oil is another natural remedy.
You might already know that fish oil and fish-related products help improve brain function, and controlling symptoms of ADHD is a brain-related activity. This is because they contain polyunsaturated fatty acids which inhibit some psychiatric disorders, including dyslexia and ADHD, from developing.
In particular, fish oils that contain a high ratio of omega-3 fatty acids to omega-6 fatty acids are known for alleviating symptoms of ADHD. It’s also worth noting that fish oil supplements are correlated with improving memory and focus. Be sure to speak with your doctor before adding supplements to your diet.
15. Fish is also good for ADHD symptoms.
As with fish oil, fish is also a good remedy for ADHD. The reason for this is that they contain omega-3 fatty acids. Consider eating cold-water species like trout, sardines, and salmon.
16. Oats are a helpful means of alleviating ADHD symptoms.
Oats would help treat stress, and give you energy, vim, and vigor when you’re feeling lethargic and lazy. They will also help you improve your concentration skills. They’ll even improve bowel movements. You can consume oats by drinking them in mug form, or by using them in flour when making baked treats such as rotis or Indian bread.
17. You can even eat green oats (Avena Sativa).
Green oats are wild oats that are naturally used for brain-related treatment. Green oats are good for treating ADHD symptoms because they’re known for calming down nerves, as well as soothing brain activity. They will help you reduce your feelings of anxiety and improve your cognitive and memory-related skills.
18. Panax ginseng is also a potent remedy for ADHD
This herb is capable of reducing stress, boosting immune system, and normalizing your body functions. Panax ginseng is also good for reducing fatigue and boosting confidence. Panax ginseng is also a potent antidepressant. These numerous benefits make it a good remedy for ADHD symptoms. You can take Panax ginseng as a tea or as a herbal supplement. Consult your doctor before taking any supplement.
19. Massage is also a natural remedy for ADHD symptoms.
Massaging of the body is an excellent way to calm and relax the body. Massage also induces a positive effect on the body with respect to one’s mood and behavior.
SAVE TO PINTEREST