Fruit flies are capable of contaminating your food with E. Coli and Coliform bacteria.
Fruit flies are very similar to gnats. However, fruit flies are a little bigger than gnats and have a slightly different color. Both gnats and fruit flies are often seen at the tail end of the summer season.
Fruit flies also have a heightened sense of smell that helps them find stinking and rotting food and sugary drinks.
Gnats and fruit flies can be a pretty big problem once they start breeding. The female fruit fly can lay up to 500 eggs which could metamorphose into adult fruit flies in about a week.
Most fruit flies look alike due to their small size. However, there are numerous types of gnats and fruit flies. The two most common types of fruit flies are the houseplant gnat and the drain fly. The houseplant gnat is often found in poor soil of potted plants while the drain fly is often found in kitchens and bathroom.
Here are some good practices when dealing with fruit flies and gnats from coming to your home;
- Always wash dirty dishes as soon as possible.
- Keep your trash bin as far away from your home as possible.
- Empty your kitchen dirt bin on a daily basis.
- Always strive to keep your foodstuffs, fruits, and vegetables covered to prevent gnats and fruit flies from contaminating them.
- Try to maintain a clean and dry environ as fruit flies are attracted to damp murky environments.
Below are 17 natural treatments and home remedies to eliminate fruit flies;