Houseflies generally gather in places that are not clean or hygienic such as trash cans or fecal matter. This fact would already tell us that houseflies carry numerous pathogens.
Houseflies, Musca domestica, carry disease-causing organisms and are known to cause at least 65 diseases and infections. These include cholera, dysentery, typhoid, etc.
Furthermore, house flies multiply rather quickly as a female housefly can lay an average of 120 eggs per batch. Over a period of a few days, she would produce 5 or 6 batches of egg.
These are good reasons to get rid of houseflies as soon as you spot them in your home or yard.
Here are some good practices when dealing with flies in your home;
- Your house, yard, and garden should always be kept clean.
- If you have indoor potted plants, ensure you use top quality soil that is not swarmed with flies.
- Keep your kitchen countertops, cabinets and cupboard clean and dry.
- Avoid leaving cut fruits, especially apples and mangoes, unattended to as they could attract flies.
- Always cover your trash cans to prevent attracting flies.
- Always cover foods properly.
- Close all doors and windows to prevent flies from getting into your home.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- Fix any leakages, especially leakages around drain areas as dirty damp areas attract flies.
- Do not allow stagnant water in your yard or garden as such attracts flies.
- If you keep pets, ensure their feces are properly cleaned as soon as possible to prevent attracting flies.
- If you have to keep your window or doors open for fresh air, then install window and door screens in your house.
Below are 19 natural ways and home remedies to get rid of, or eliminate, flies;