Jaundice is the yellow color of the eyes, skin, or mucous membranes. This yellow coloring comes from a byproduct of old red blood cells called bilirubin.
Jaundice should not be mistaken for carotenemia which is characterized by yellow pigmentation of the skin due to increased beta-carotene in the blood as a result of prolonged ingestion of carotene-rich foods such as carrots and tomatoes.
Jaundice often affects babies most usually after birth. However, it can affect adults too. Furthermore, jaundice is often a symptom of a health problem.
Ideally, the liver breaks down bilirubin so that it can be eliminated from the body through our stool. However, if for any reason, the liver finds it difficult to break down the bilirubin or the liver is overwhelmed with excessive bilirubin, jaundice could occur.
Jaundice could occur if;
- The bilirubin, from the liver, cannot be delivered to the digestive tract.
- The liver gets overwhelmed or is damaged.
- There is a large amount of red blood cells that are dying and going to the liver.
Factors that can increase the likelihood of having jaundice include; viral infection, cancer of the bile duct, liver, or pancreas; use of certain drugs; gallstones, blood disorders, birth defects, alcoholic liver disease, and hepatitis. Jaundice is often a sign that there is a problem with your liver, gallbladder, or pancreas.
Common symptoms of jaundice include; yellowing of the skin, tongue, eyes, and urine, as well as pale/clay-colored stools. Other symptoms would depend on the disorder that is causing jaundice (for instance, hepatitis may come with fatigue, nausea, and vomiting).
If you suspect you are suffering from jaundice, seek immediate medical attention for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Here are some tips and good practices, to consider, when dealing with jaundice;
- Ensure you get proper rest to help hasten recovery.
- Engage in light exercise.
- Ensure your rooms are well ventilated to get an adequate amount of fresh air.
- Ensure you are drinking clean water. You could boil and filter your water.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and coffee as they tend to dehydrate you and increase the workload of the liver.
- Increase your intake of foods that are rich in calcium and magnesium.
Below are home remedies for jaundice. Most of these remedies improve liver functioning and help increase the flow of bile in the bile duct;
Ginger is generally known to be a natural detoxifier. It helps in the smooth and natural functioning of the liver by protecting the liver from a wide variety of problems. This simple procedure can help make ginger effective in curing jaundice.
- Take a small piece of ginger and extract the juice.
- Mix a teaspoon of this juice with 1 teaspoon, each, of lime juice and mint juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Take this mixture 3- 4 times daily for 2 weeks.
Turmeric is rich in a compound known as curcumin which helps in liver detoxification. Curcumin also prevents harmful toxins, such as alcohol, from damaging the liver. Curcumin also contains healing and medicinal properties which aid in fast recovery in the case of an illness.
- In a glass of warm water, add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Drink the resulting solution 2-3 times daily for several weeks.
An alternative procedure involves the following;
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with freshly extracted lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of honey and a little cayenne powder in 1 glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution once daily for a few weeks.
Lemon juice has detoxifying and liver healing properties. Furthermore, the diuretic nature of lemon juice aids in urine production through which harmful products such as bilirubin are eliminated from the body. Once consumed, lemons also boost bile production from the liver as well as promoting mineral absorption.
- Dilute half a lemon’s juice in a glass of water and drink this solution 3-4 times a day for about 3 weeks.
- Alternatively, mix juice from half a lemon and a little salt in half a glass of water and drink this mixture 3 times daily for a few weeks.
- Additionally, you can add about 10 leaves of lemon in a cup of boiling water, cover and then steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink the resulting solution twice a day for a few weeks.
4. Sugar Cane
This is a popular home remedy for a quick recovery from jaundice. When one is suffering from jaundice, the glucose levels in the body tends to drop and consumption of sugar cane, which contains easily digestible sugars, helps in restoring the glucose levels to an appropriate level thus facilitating faster healing. Furthermore, the alkaline nature of sugar cane also helps to maintain low acid levels in the body which helps keep the body hydrated.
- Using a sugar cane juicer, make a glass of sugar cane juice and add juice from half a lemon into it.
- Ensure that the two mix well and drink the resulting solution 2-3 times daily for 3 weeks.
- Alternatively, you can add 1 teaspoon of a paste of basil leaves to 1 cup sugar cane juice and drink the mixture twice a day for several weeks. Such sugar cane juice mixture helps in nourishing your body and also helps you to pass out urine properly.
Both radish leaves and radishes are effective in treating jaundice. They are a powerful detoxifier and also helps in eliminating harmful toxins such as bilirubin from the body.
- Extract radish juice from fresh radish leaves and drink it twice daily for about 10 days. You may also add 1 teaspoon of crushed basil leaves for faster healing.
- Alternatively, you can eat fresh radishes, especially the black radishes, in the morning for 2 weeks. Radishes can also be eaten with soups or salads.
Barley acts as a diuretic and helps eliminate harmful toxins from the body.
- To 3 liters of water, add 1 cup of barley.
- Simmer it for a few hours and then strain it.
- Allow the resulting solution to cool and then add sugar, a pinch of salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Drink 4-5 glasses of the resulting solution daily until the jaundice symptoms fade away.
Almonds help in eliminating waste from the blood and also plays a great role in ensuring the smooth functioning of the liver. Almonds are also rich in compounds, such as magnesium, riboflavin, and calcium, which are beneficial to the liver.
- Soak 8-10 almonds with 4 small cardamoms and 2-3 dried dates in water overnight.
- Early the next morning remove the seeds from the dates and the skin of the almonds.
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender and blend to make a fine paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of sugar to the resulting mixture.
- Consume this mixture daily for 2 weeks.
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene which helps reduce damage to the liver thus facilitating quick recovery from jaundice. Tomatoes also act as an effective detoxifier.
- Boil 5 fresh tomatoes in 2 cups of water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the skin from these tomatoes and then blend them.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the juice.
- Drink a glass of this juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink this juice for about 2 weeks.
Carrots are rich in beta carotene which is converted into vitamin A by the body. This helps to increase the body’s immune system which facilitates faster recovery from diseases.
- Blend fresh carrots and drink the resulting juice daily to help improve the condition of your liver.
- Eating raw carrots in salad or in boiled form also helps speed up the recovery process.
Licorice helps to inhibit the build-up of toxic substances in the body which in turn helps improve the liver’s ability to filter out these harmful substances.
- Use crushed licorice roots to make 1 teaspoon of a fine powder.
- Add chicory seeds and rock salt powder, each a teaspoon, to the licorice powder.
- Drink this, with warm water, twice a day for about 2 weeks.
Spinach contains high amounts of iron. Iron helps in speeding up the recovery of the body from jaundice.
- Take fresh spinach and carrots and wash them thoroughly.
- Chop them into small sizes that can be put in a juicer or grinder.
- Blend them to get a juice which you should drink daily until the jaundice symptoms subside.
12. Lactating Mother’s Milk
Breast milk contains multiple nutrients which are important for a baby’s health. Newborn babies and young children are prone to having jaundice and feeding them with breast milk may help build their immunity thus fighting jaundice.
Chamomile is an effective herb for treating jaundice especially when taken as a tea.
- Take 2-3 spoons of well-dried chamomile leaves and put them into a cup.
- Add hot water to the cup.
- Allow to steep for a few minutes and then strain it into another cup using a tea strainer.
- You may add lemon juice or honey for taste.
- Drink this tea daily for several weeks.
14. Pigeon Peas Leaves
The procedure to follow when using pigeon peas is simple;
- Take a handful of fresh pigeon leaves and crush them to extract their juice.
- Drink about 60 ml of this juice, diluted with water, daily for effective results.
- You can also include pigeon peas in your diet.
15. Jaundice Berry
This is also known as Berber’s vultaris and is usually recommended for people suffering from jaundice. Extract juice from the bark of this herb. Drink at least 2-3 teaspoons of this juice daily for several weeks.
16. Indian Gooseberry
There are no side effects which have been established from the use of Indian gooseberry juice and it’s also considered to be effective in treating jaundice.
- Wash and dry the Indian gooseberries and place them in a bowl.
- Take a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water.
- Place the bowl with the gooseberries in the cooker.
- Whistle once and then remove the bowl and allow it to cool.
- Break the now soft gooseberries into pieces while removing the seeds.
- Add sugar and salt to the berries and then grind them to make a paste.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of this paste into a cup of water, stir and then drink it.
- You can also add a pinch of cardamom powder to the juice to add taste.
This is another effective treatment for jaundice.
- Take a piece of alum and place it on a frying pan.
- Allow it to heat until it expands.
- Take the expanded alum and then crush it into a fine powder.
- Add a pinch of this powder into a cup of fresh curd.
- Take at least a cup of this curd twice a day for a few weeks.
Buttermilk contains little or no fat, thus, it is good for digestion. Prepare buttermilk and then add a pinch of turmeric and black pepper powder as well as cumin seeds. Drink this mixture three times a day for faster recovery.
19. Bitter Luffa
This is another effective herb which hastens recovery from jaundice.
- Squeeze bitter luffa to extract its juice.
- Pour the juice into your palm and then inhale using your nostrils.
- As a result of this inhalation, a yellowish liquid will run out of your nose.
- This helps hasten the healing process.
Papaya is rich in papain which helps in treating jaundice.
- Get some fresh and tender papaya leaves and then crush them to make a paste.
- Take half a teaspoon of this paste and add water into it.
- You may add honey for taste. Then, consume it.
- Take this mixture daily for best results.
21. Cumin And Carom Seeds
These seeds work well in healing jaundice.
- Take a tablespoon of each of these seeds and add a pinch of salt.
- Roast these seeds and then ground them to get a fine powder.
- Add a pinch of rock salt to the resulting powder to have a salty taste.
- Add water to this powder and take it twice a day.
- You can also take these seeds directly but they are somewhat difficult to chew and digest.
- Taking the seeds in powder form hastens the rate at which nutrients are assimilated into the body and this helps hasten the healing process.
Many people know this herb for its use in pizza seasoning. They, however, do not recognize its jaundice healing properties.
- Take a glass of water and add oregano to it.
- Let it boil until you get the oregano concoction.
- Take this concoction twice a day for several weeks to act as a remedy for jaundice.
23. Basil Leaves
Basil leaf is an effective herb for treating jaundice. You can chew fresh basil leaves on a daily basis to help fight jaundice. Alternatively, you can prepare basil leaves paste and add a little amount of honey to add flavor. Take this paste 2-3 times a day for faster healing.
Ripe bananas also play a role in helping you recover from jaundice.
- Mash a ripe banana.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the resulting paste.
- Take the resulting mixture twice a day for several days.
25. Coriander Seed Water
Drinking 30-50 ml of coriander seed water/tea helps in alleviating the symptoms of jaundice. You can make this coriander seed tea by soaking a tablespoon of coriander seeds in 500ml of water and then allowing it to boil. Drinking this solution daily helps reduce the yellowness of the skin resulting from jaundice.
26. Coconut Water
Drinking coconut water 2-3 times daily helps treat jaundice. Coconut water not only helps in clearing your urine but also helps in regulating body temperatures.
Eating ripe pomegranate regularly may act as a home remedy for jaundice. You can also take pomegranate juice daily.
Similar to the basil leaves, take a handful of fresh bael leaves and grind them to make a paste. Take 1 tablespoon of this fine paste and add a pinch of black pepper and then add them to a cup of water. Take the resulting mixture daily for faster healing.
29. Margosa Leaves
Margosa leaves are effective in healing liver diseases including jaundice.
- Crush a handful of fresh margosa leaves to obtain a fine paste.
- Add half a teaspoon of this paste in a glass of water and then add 2 tablespoons of sugar to add taste.
- Take this mixture very early in the morning on a daily basis.
30. Chicory Plant
Almost all the parts of a chicory plant is a remedy for numerous liver problems. The juice or tea prepared from the parts of a chicory plant such as the flowers, roots, and leaves helps improve the effectiveness of the liver. This, in turn, helps promote the smooth running of the liver and hastens the recovery from jaundice.
31. Snake Gourd Leaves
Snake gourd leaf is a herb which comes highly recommended for jaundice patients.
- Add around 10 leaves of the snake gourd in a cup of water and leave them to boil.
- Leave it to cool down.
- Take about 10-15 coriander seeds and add them to half a liter of water and leave them to boil.
- Leave it to cool and then combine the two mixtures.
- Drink the resulting mixture at least 3 times a day for best results.
Combine beetroot juice and lemon juice and drink the resulting blend on a regular basis for a couple of days to obtain effective results.
33. Aloe Vera
The leaves of the aloe vera are an effective remedy for jaundice. Combine the pulp of aloe vera leaves with ginger and a pinch of black salt to taste. Take the resulting mixture every morning for about 10 days for best results.
34. Hygrophila Spinosa
The root of this plant is an effective remedy for treating a number of liver diseases such as jaundice and hepatitis. Boil the roots of this plant in water and then drink the mixture 2-3 times a day for effective results.
35. Indian Sorrel
It is a herb that plays an effective role in treating jaundice, especially when taken with buttermilk.
Taking a bowl of yogurt daily helps fight jaundice. You may add a little turmeric to increase its effectiveness. It is recommended that you use a turmeric stick rather than the normal turmeric powder.
37. Avoid Fried And Fatty Foods
The liver produces enzymes that help in the digestion of fat. Having jaundice reduces the liver’s ability to digest fats effectively and therefore avoiding spicy foods or foods containing high amounts of fat may help fight jaundice.
38. Eat Fruits
Eating fruits regularly and especially those containing high contents of water such as watermelons and muskmelons helps keep your body hydrated. This helps in the smooth running of your body parts including the liver.
39. Rest Well
Jaundice tends to kill your appetite and therefore you need to rest well and eat healthy meals to ensure the smooth running of the vital organs of your body. Avoiding stressing your body with too much physical work. This helps hasten recovery from jaundice.
SAVE TO PINTEREST