Low sperm production and poor quality sperm is the most common cause of male infertility in America. This is because low sperm quality and quantity reduces the likelihood of the female’s egg getting fertilized.
The normal concentration of sperm is at least 20 million per ml of semen. Having a sperm concentration of less than 15 million per ml of semen is considered low sperm count, medically known as oligozoospermia.
Factors that can increase the likelihood of low sperm count include; radiation, use of anabolic steroids, certain medication, cigarette smoking, exposure to heavy metals, exposure to toxins, alcohol abuse, hormonal imbalance, infection in the prostate gland, and sexually transmitted diseases.
Furthermore, heating of the testicles with electronic devices, especially when you place laptops on your thighs, can contribute to low sperm count.
Here are some tips and good practices, to consider, when dealing with low sperm count;
- Opt for organic foods as well as organic products such as organic cosmetics and deodorants.
- Limit your use of plastic bottles and containers to reduce your exposure to xenoestrogen.
- Avoid wearing tight briefs and boxers.
- Ensure you get quality sleep at night.
- If you are obese, strive to lose the excess weight.
- Avoid stress as it could impair the hormones that trigger sperm production.
- Ensure you eat foods that are rich in vitamin D as vitamin D boosts testosterone levels.
- Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol as alcohol reduces testosterone levels.
- Reduce your consumption of soy and soy products as soy is rich in isoflavones which lowers the quality of semen.
- Avoid taking hot baths or using saunas.
- Quit smoking as smoking is linked to low sperm quality and infertility.
- Stop the use of anabolic steroids and any other recreational drugs you use.
Below are 15 natural home remedies to boost low sperm count;
Shilajit is a mineral mixture that can be used to treat premature ejaculation, low sperm count, and low libido. Shilajit improves a male’s physical and mental strength.
Drop Bad Habits
Stop smoking and excess consumption of alcohol as they devastate the hormone levels. Smoking also restrict oxygen blood supply which affect quality sperm production.
Tribulus improves sperm quality by stabilising hormone levels. It is also a natural aphrodisiac. Tribulus can be taken in capsule form.
Saw palmetto is good for erectile dysfunction and it also promotes prostate health. This makes it useful for overall sperm quality and production.
The antioxidants in green tea make it useful in curtailing free radicals that are harmful to quality sperm production.
Horny Goat Weed / Epimedium
Horny goat weed is a herb that is used for treating erectile dysfunction and to increase sperm count. It is a natural aphrodisiac.
Relax / Sleep Well/ Reduce Stress Level
Stress levels can negatively affect hormonal levels in the body. As such, you should endeavor to sleep well, relax well, or meditate often to maintain a calm well-being. This would help in sperm count production.
Alicin, in garlic, improves sperm longevity and helps in blood circulation. Garlic is also a natural aphrodisiac.
Avoid Tight Pants/Underwear
Avoid tight pants as they generate heat to the testis which affect sperm count levels. Try to wear cotton boxers instead.
Korean ginseng is a medicinal herb that helps to improve sperm count by promoting testosterone production. It also improves erectile performance.
Moderate exercise, to reduce sedentary lifestyle, helps to bolster sperm count as sedentary lifestyle affects sperm production.
Maca root is a fertility herb that stabilises body hormones. It is protects against autoimmunity. Maca root, especially of the black variety helps improve sperm count.
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera)
Ashwagandha can be used to improve sperm production by promoting good testosterone production. Ashwagandha also helps to curtail one’s stress levels.
The antioxidants, in pomegranates , help reduce malondialidehyde which can harm sperm cells. Pomegranates also help in general quality production of sperm.
Bromelain, in banana, helps regulate sex hormones. Also bananas contain vitamin A, B1 and C which bolster sperm production.
Save To Pinterest