Some common causes of sore or strained eyes today include lack of sleep, reading in dim environments for long, contact lenses, staring at digital devices for a long period of time, exposure to bright light, wearing incorrect prescription glasses, allergies and certain eye ailments.
Symptoms of eye sore include; eye irritation, eye redness, blurry vision, watery eyes, pain in the eyes, increased sensitivity to light and difficulty in focusing.
Eye sore is quite common and there are several over-the-counter eye drops and drugs that can provide relief.
Below are 15 natural home remedies and treatments for eyesore and strain;
1. Turmeric: Wash Face With Turmeric Powder Diluted In Water. Turmeric Powder Has Antimicrobial And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Helps Reduce Any Swelling And Fight Any Infection Causing The Strain Or Soreness. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92752/)
2. Rose Water: Place Cotton Ball, Dampened With Chilled Rose Water, On The Affected Eye. Leave For 10 Minutes Before Removing. Rose Water Is Effective For Eye Sore, Eye Strain, And Eye Irritation. Rose Water Gives A Feeling Of Cooling And Relaxing Sensation To The Eye.
3. Cold Compress: Apply A Cold Compress Of Ice, Wrapped In Clean Cloth, On The Affected Eye. Leave For 4 Minutes Before Removing. The Ice Pack Would Help Soothe The Sore Eye. (https://www.randeye.com/cold-compresses/)
4. Computer Breaks: Take Breaks When Using Computer Instead Of Staring At The Screen For Long Periods. Furthermore, Place Your Computer About 20 Inches Away When Using It.
5. Milk: Apply Cold Milk To Your Closed Eyelid, And Around The Eye, With The Use Of Cotton Ball. Cold Milk Helps Soothe And Relax The Eye. Milk Is Also Effective In Reducing Eye Irritation, Puffiness, And Soreness.
6. Sleep: Get Adequate Sleep As Lack Of Sleep Could Contribute To Eye Strain And Soreness.
7. Water: Consume Plenty Of Water To Help Reduce Eye Strain And Soreness.
8. Aloe Vera: Apply Cool Aloe Vera Gel On The Strained Eyelid(s). Rinse-Off After 10 Minutes. Aloe Vera Has Healing, Soothing And Cooling Properties That Makes It Suitable For Eye Strain. Its Antimicrobial Properties Make It Suitable For Eye Sores Especially If The Sore Is Caused By An Infection. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763764/)
9. Humidifier: Use Humidifiers In The House To Reduce Incidences Of Dry Irritated Eyes.
10. Warm Compress: Do A Warm Compress By Placing A Clean Towel That Has Been Soaked In Warm Water Over The Eyes. Repeat When The Towel Gets Cold. Warm Compress Helps To Reduce Eye Strain And Sore By Relaxing The Muscles Around The Eyes And Soothing Dry Eyes.
11. Massage: Gently Massage Your Eyelids And Muscles Around Your Eyebrows To Allow For Proper Blood Circulation Around Your Eyes And For Better Eye Relaxation. This Is A Good Eye Strain Relief Exercise.
12. Makeup: Avoid Using Too Much Eye Cosmetics When You Have Eye Strain.
13. Cucumber: Place Chilled Sliced Cucumber On The Strained Eye(s) For 10 Minutes. Cucumber Has A Soothing And Cooling Effect On The Body That Helps Relax And Heal The Irritated Eye.
14. Healthy Foods: Consume Foods, Fruits And Vegetables Rich In Vitamin A (Such As Carrots, Spinach, Kale), Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Such As Salmon Fish, Mackerel), And Antioxidants (Such As Blueberries, Oranges).
15. Chamomile: Use Chamomile Tea Bags For Warm And Cold Eye Treatment. For Warm Treatment, Steep Chamomile Tea Bag In Hot Water For 5 Minutes, Then Place On The Affected Eye. For Cold Treatment, Soak The Tea Bag In Water, Then Refrigerate For A While Before Place On Affected Eye. The Soothing Nature Of Chamomile Tea Helps Relax The Eye And Can Reduce Swelling And Soreness Around The Eye.
Pin To Pinterest