Diaper rash, also known as diaper dermatitis, is the most common issue faced by babies. It does not mean the baby is not well cared for. However, prompt precautions must be taken to ensure the rash does not escalate to fungal or bacterial infections.
Diaper rash is the reddish irritation and inflammation that are visible, especially, on a baby’s bum due to several factors such as yeast infection, change in diet, prolonged exposure to dirty/soiled diapers, sensitivity to diapers, food allergies, friction due to rubbing of diapers against skin, and type of baby lotion or oil used.
Below are 14 natural remedies and treatments for getting rid of diaper rash;
1. Wash Baby’s Bum With Diluted Baking Soda. Pat Baby’s Bum Dry Before Putting On Fresh Diapers. Baking Soda Has Healing Properties That Are Effective On Diaper Rash. However, Use This Home Remedy In Moderation As Excessive Usage Could Lead To Hypokalemic Metabolic Alkalosis. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7232046)
2. Apply Olive Oil To Affected Diaper Rash Area After Washing And Cleaning The Baby’s Bum. Olive Oil Is A Natural Moisturizer That Moisturizes And Soothes The Diaper Rash. (http://www.clinicalmicrobiologyandinfection.com/article/S1198-743X(14)62219-9/fulltext)
3. Wash Baby’s Bum And Apply Ribwort Plantain Oil To Baby’s Bum. Ribwort Plantain Oil Has Anti-Allergic And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Helps Soothe The Skin And Heal Diaper Rash Fast. You Could Also Use Water From Strained Plantain Leaves/Herbs For The Same Result. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3834722/)
4. Apply Petroleum Jelly To The Baby’s Bum After Cleaning The Baby’s Bum. The Petroleum Jelly Acts As A Thin Protective Layer Against Urine And Feces Coming In Contact With The Baby’s Bum. This Would Also Help Heal Already Existing Diaper Rash Quickly. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528704/)
5. Wash Baby’s Bum. Leave To Dry. Then, Lightly Sprinkle Cornstarch To Baby’s Bum Before Putting Fresh Diaper. Cornstarch Absorbs Moisture Effectively. This Helps To Keep Baby’s Bum Dry For A Longer Period And Reduce Diaper Friction And Rash. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6387672)
6. Dilute Vinegar In Water And Use To Wipe Baby’s Bum When Changing Diaper. Alternatively, Rinse Diapers In Vinegar Solution If You Are Reusing Them. Vinegar Neutralize The High Alkaline Nature Of Urine That May Stain The Diaper And The Baby’s Bum. High Alkaline Stale Urine Tends To Give A Burning/Corrosive Feel To A Soft Baby’s Bum. (https://www.heatrash.org/heal-heat-rash-fast-vinegar/)
7. Apply Grapefruit Seed Oil To The Affected Area Of The Baby’s Skin. Grapefruit Seed Oil Has Anti-Microbial And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Help Heal Diaper Rash. Grapefruit Seed Oil, And Its Extracts, Are Rich In Antioxidants That Also Helps Facilitate The Healing Process.
8. Wash Baby’s Bum And Apply Shea Butter On The Affected Part. Shea Butter Has Antimicrobial And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Makes It Effective As A Diaper Rash Home Remedy. Shea Butter Also Helps In Skin Regeneration. (https://www.meilingskincare.com/blogs/news/7-shea-butter-benefits-for-your-skin)
9. Apply Aloe Vera On The Baby’s Bum. Aloe Vera Has Healing Properties That Makes It Effective For Healing Diaper Rash Fast. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22606064)
10. Apply Few Drops Of Breast Milk To Affected Area. Leave To Dry Before Wearing diaper On Baby. Breast Milk Helps Fight Infection, There Is No Risk Of Allergic Reaction And Breast Milk Helps Soothes The Skin. These Makes It The Most Effective And Least Expensive Home Remedy For Diaper Rash. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5472239/)
11. Apply Coconut Oil To Baby’s Bum After Washing And Cleaning The Bum. Coconut Oil Has Antibacterial And Antifungal Properties That Heals The Diaper Rash Fast As Well As Soothes The Diaper Area. (https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1440585911)
12. Sprinkle French Green Clay On The Diaper Rash Affected Area Before Putting On Fresh Diaper On The Baby. French Green Clay Helps Prevent The Spread Of The Diaper Rash Especially If The Rash Is Caused By A Fungal Infection. (https://lilithsapothecary.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/natural-remedies-tip-1-heal-skin-rash-with-clay/)
13. Soak Oatmeal In Bath And Bathe Baby In It. Saponin, Found In Oatmeal, Helps Remove Unwanted Dirt And Oil From Pores Which Leaves A Baby Feeling Fresh. Also, Oatmeal Would Helps Preserve The Skin’s Natural Barrier And Also Soothes A Baby’s Skin. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25607907)
14. Apply Calendula Oil/Ointment To Baby’s Bum After Washing And Cleaning The Bum. Topical Calendula Ointment Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Heals The Diaper Rash Fast As Well As Soothes The Diaper Area. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22606064)
Pin To Pinterest