Acne, and pimples, that occur on the scalp often appear as pustules. Pustules are red, inflamed, pus-filled acne. Scalp acne can be caused by a number of factors which include; having unwashed oily hair, using greasy hair products, stress, dirty environment, often use of headgear, hormonal changes.
The scalp, like other parts of the body, secretes sebum (oil) and if bacteria in the scalp combine with dead cells on the scalp and sebum, they may block scalp pores which could lead to acne.
Symptoms of scalp acne/pimple include; inflammation, pain, itching, and redness. If scalp acne is left untreated, it could exacerbate to folliculitis.
Treating scalp acne involves proper hair care that can be done from home. However, if the pain is very severe, you could visit a dermatologist. Antibiotics are usually prescribed in such cases.
Below are 13 natural home remedies and treatments to get rid of scalp acne and pimples;
1. Neem: Apply Indian Lilac (Neem) Oil To The Affected Scalp Area Overnight. Rinse-Off Or Wash Off With Shampoo In The Morning. Neem Has Effective Antibiotic, Antiseptic And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Reduce The Acne Symptoms Such As Itching And Inflammation. Neem Also Drys Off The Acne Fast. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3695574/)
2. Maintain A Healthy Diet: The Skin, Including The Scalp, Is The Body’s Largest Organ And A Major Source Of The Body To Eliminate Waste (Via Sweating). As Such, A Well-Balanced Diet Tends To Nourish The Skin From The Inside And Makes It More Capable Of Fighting Bacteria-Causing Acne And Pimple. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2836431/)
3. Quit Smoking: A Study Shows That Smokers Are 4 Times More Likely To Have Acne And Pimples. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2007.08164.x/abstract)
4. Betel Leaf: Rinse Hair With Betel Leaf Tea. Betel Leaf Has Bactericidal And Antiseptic Properties That Makes It Effective In Treating Scalp Acne. (http://www.ijpsr.info/docs/IJPSR11-02-03-05.pdf)
5. Honey: Apply Honey To Affected Area. Leave For 10 Minutes. Rinse-Off Thereafter. Honey Has Antioxidant, Anti-Inflammatory And Antibacterial Properties That Inhibit The Growth Of Pimple-Causing Bacteria. Honey Also Provides Relief For Acne Symptoms Such As Reducing Redness And Soreness.
6. Garlic: Apply Crushed Garlic Cloves Or Garlic Oil To The Affected Scalp Area. Leave For 15 Minutes. Rinse-Off Thereafter. Garlic Has Anti-Inflammatory, Antibacterial And Antioxidant Properties That Helps Fight The Bacteria Infection, Reduce Swelling And Make The Healing Process Faster.
7. Hygiene: Improve Your Scalp And Hair Hygiene. Wash Combs And Brushes, With Soap, On A Regular Basis. Wash Your Hair Regularly To Prevent Sebum Buildup. If You Sweat A lot, Rinse Hair Every Evening With Clean Water.
8. Tomato: Apply Tomato Juice On The Affected Scalp Area. Leave For 15 Minutes. Rinse-Off Thereafter. Tomatoes Contain Salicylic Acid. Salicylic Acid Helps Dry Out The Acne. Tomatoes Are Also Rich In Nutrients And Antioxidants That Effectively Remove Excess Sebum From The Hair, Nourishes The Hair And Stabilize The pH Balance Of The Hair.
9. Tea Tree Oil: Apply Tea Tree Oil To Affected Parts Of The Scalp. Leave For 4 Hours. Rinse-Off Thereafter. Tea Tree Oil Acts As A Natural Antiseptic And Disinfectant. Thus, Drying Out The Acne. Do A Skin Patch Test To Ensure You Are Not Allergic To Tea Tree Oil.
10. Aloe Vera: Apply Aloe Vera Gel To Affected Area. Aloe Vera Has Potent Antimicrobial, Antiseptic, Anti-Inflammatory And Healing Properties That Helps Fight Against The Bacteria On The Scalp, Reduce Inflammation, And Accelerate The Healing Process.
11. Turmeric: Apply A Paste Of Turmeric And Extra Virgin Coconut Oil On The Affected Scalp Area For 30 Minutes. Wash Off, With Regular Shampoo Thereafter. Curcumin, In Turmeric, Has Potent Antibacterial, Anti-Inflammatory And Antioxidant Properties That Inhibit The Growth Of Propionibacterium Acne Bacteria, Reduces Pain And Prevent Acne Scars.
12. Lemon: Apply Lemon Juice To Scalp. Leave For 15 Minutes. Rinse-Off Thereafter. Lemon Juice Is Rich In Nutrients And Antioxidants That Fight Acne-Causing Bacteria And Nourishes The Scalp.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apply Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar To Hair. Leave For 10 Minutes. Rinse-Off Thereafter. Apple Cider Vinegar Has Antimicrobial And Antiseptic Properties That Helps Remove Oil And Bacteria, That Cause Acne, From The Scalp. It Also Stabilizes The pH Balance Of The Scalp To Prevent Future Acne Outbreak.
Pin To Pinterest