Arthritis in the hands is a common form of arthritis. It results due to the wearing down of cartilage in the joint that lubricates the bones.
People who have arthritis in the hands often have swollen joints and the intense pain from bones, of the knuckles, rubbing together makes it difficult for such people to carryout normal daily activities.
Some other symptoms of arthritis of the hands include stiffness of the knuckles, pain, joint inflammation and swollen fingers.
The good news is there are home remedies that can reduce the joint inflammations and the pains. Consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Below are 11 natural home remedies and treatments for arthritis in the hands;
1. Drink Onion Water. You Can Add Honey Or Lemon To Mask The Onion’s Characteristic Odor. Onion Contain Phytochemicals That Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties. The Sulphur, In Onions, Also Acts As An Inhibitory Agent To Enzymes That Cause Pain.
2. Consume Garlic Either Raw Or You Can Add To Food As A Food Spice. Garlic Has Antirheumatic And Anti-Inflammatory That Help Reduce Swelling And Pain. Garlic Has Sulphur And Selenium That Are Anti-Inflammatory And Antirheumatic Properties Respectively. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10515039)
3. Apply Cold Compress, Wrapped In Towel, On The Affected Hands And Fingers. This Cold Therapy Would Help Reduce Irritation And Soreness. It Would Also Help Numb The Pain.
4. Stay Hydrated. Drink Water. The Water Would Keep The Cartilages Soft And Hydrated. This Makes The Cartilages Work As Better Shock Absorbers And Lubricants. Water Also Helps In Facilitating Nutrients Transport To The Joints.
5. Soak Fenugreek Seed In Water Overnight And Eat Them Thereafter. Methi, In Fenugreek Seeds, Have Anti-Inflammatory And Antioxidant Properties That Are Suitable For Arthritic Hands. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27756958)
6. Drink Ginger Tea. Ginger Has Antioxidant And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Help To Reduce Arthritis Pain And Swelling. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665023/)
7. Drink Dilute Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple Cider Vinegar Has Alkaline-Forming And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Help Reduce Inflammation, Stiffness, And Pain.
8. Soak Hands In Epsom Salt For 30 Minutes. Epsom Salt Is Rich In Magnesium Which Makes It Good For Bone Mineralization. Most Patients With Arthritis Have A Relatively Lower Bone Density. Furthermore, Magnesium Helps To Relieve Nerve Pains. (http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/jacob-teitelbaum-md/magnesium-pain-relief)
9. Massage Castor Oil To Affected Area. Ricinoleic Acid, In Castor Oil, Has Anti-Inflammatory And Analgesic Properties That Help Provide Joint Pain And Swelling Relief. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3665188/)
10. Drink Turmeric Mixed With Milk Or With Water. Curcumin, A Yellow Pigment From Curcuma Longa In Turmeric, Has Anti-Inflammatory, Antioxidant, And Antiseptic Properties That Makes It Suitable For Arthritis Pain And Swelling. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17569207)
11. Massage The Hands With Olive Oil. You Can Also Use Olive Oil To Cook Your Food. Olive Oil Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Help Control Joint Swelling Son The Hands. (https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/natural/233.html)
Pin To Pinterest