Mosquitoes feed on human and animal blood to survive. They use their proboscis to puncture the skin of the host and suck blood.
A person may not know when a mosquito bite occurs as the mosquito puncture is very small. However, the after effects and symptoms of the bite may range from annoying to potentially fatal.
These symptoms may include itching, swelling, bruising and may lead to fatal illnesses such as malaria and dengue.
You should endeavor to wear long sleeves and trousers or long garments if you are in an area susceptible to mosquito or mosquito breeding.
Below are 14 natural home remedies and treatments for mosquito bite relief;
1. Apply Mashed/Ground Basil Paste To Affected Mosquito Bite Area. Eugenol, A Chemical Compound In Basil, Helps Relieve Itchy Skin. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18401780)
2. Apply Tea Tree Oil To The Affected Bite Area. Tea Tree Oil Has Antiseptic And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Would Help Reduce Infection And Swelling Around The Bite Area. (https://osanabar.com/15-uses-for-tea-tree-oil/)
3. Apply A Paste Of Salt And A Few Drops Of Water To The Mosquito Bite Area. Salt Has Antiseptic And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Makes It Suitable For Mosquito Bite. (http://www.saltcavesouthlake.com/salty-stories/can-salt-relieve-insect-bites)
4. Apply Minced Onion Or Garlic To Affected Area For 5 Minutes. Rinse-Off Thereafter. Onion And Garlic Have Potent Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Makes Them Good For Stopping Mosquito Bite Area From Swelling And Itching. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4103721/)
5. Apply Diluted Baking Soda To Affected Bite Area. The Baking Soda Help Reduce Itching And Provide Relief By Neutralizing The pH Of The Skin Due To Its Alkaline Nature. (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/08/27/baking-soda-natural-remedy.aspx)
6. Apply Honey To The Mosquito Bite Area. Honey Has Antibacterial And Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Make It Suitable As A Home Remedy For Mosquito Bites. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/)
7. Place Some Ice Wrapped In A Clean Cloth Over The Mosquito Bite For About 10 Minutes. Ice Pack Would Help Prevent Swelling And Numb The Area Which, In Turn, Would Reduce Itching. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/ice-is-nice-for-insect-bites-12-04-16/)
8. Apply A Little Ammonia On The Affected Area. Ammonia Is An Effective Anti-Itch Remedy For Mosquito Bites. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9689301)
9. Apply Lemon Juice To The Affected Bite Area. Lemon Has Natural Anti-Inflammatory And Analgesic Properties For Reducing Swelling And Pain To Affected Area. (http://lifehacker.com/relieve-itchy-mosquito-bites-with-fresh-lemon-or-lime-j-1724651566)
10. Apply Toothpaste On The Affected Bite Area. It Is Better To Use Toothpaste That Has Peppermint, Baking Soda Or Menthol. Avoid Using Gel-Based Toothpaste. Toothpaste Would Help Reduce Itching And Swelling. (https://www.optiderma.com/articles/toothpaste-on-bug-bites-mosquito/)
11. Apply Aloe Vera Gel To The Mosquito Bite Area. Aloe Vera Has Potent Healing And Antiseptic Properties. This Enables It To Help Reduce Inflammation, Pain, And Itching Of The Mosquito Bite. (http://www.aloeplant.info/natures-powerhouse-aloe-vera-for-insect-bites-and-poison-ivy/)
12. Apply Rubbing Alcohol Over The Affected Area To Reduce Irritation And Prevent Infection. (https://christianpf.com/uses-rubbing-alcohol/)
13. Apply Oatmeal Paste To The Affected Area. Avenanthramides, Polyphenols From Oats, Help To Provide Itching Relief And Prevent Swelling. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18461339)
14. Apply Crushed Aspirin Paste To Affected Bite Area. Aspirin Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties That Reduce Swelling Caused By Mosquito Bites. (https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/surprising-uses-for-aspirin/)
Pin To Pinterest