Urinary incontinence is the inability to control one’s urination which could then lead to urine leakage or loss of urine. It is an involuntary leakage of urine. It is estimated that about 25 million Americans are affected by urinary incontinence.
Urinary incontinence can be split into three main categories;
Urge Incontinence: This occurs when an overactive bladder causes an intense urge to urinate. Thus, causing involuntary urine leakage.
Stress Incontinence: This occurs when activities such as exercise, jumping, sneezing, and coughing exert pressure on the bladder causing it to release urine.
Overflow Incontinence: This is an inability to completely empty the bladder causing frequent minute urination.
Factors that can lead to urinary incontinence include age, enlarged prostate, menopause, urinary tract infections, urinary stones, weakened pelvic floor muscles and constipation.
Below are 12 natural home remedies and treatments for urinary incontinence and overactive bladder;
1. Perform Pelvic Floor (Kegel) Exercises. Intermittently Tightening And Relax The Pelvic Floor Muscles. (https://www.nafc.org/kegel/)
2. Consume Foods Rich In Magnesium, Such As Nuts, Seed, Bananas, And Yogurts, If You Experience Other Signs Of Magnesium Deficiency Such As Leg Cramps At Night. Magnesium Would Help Reduce Bladder Muscle Spasms. Thus, Aiding In Complete Bladder Emptying When You Urinate. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9647159)
3. Eat Foods Rich In Vitamin D Such As Oysters, Fish And Egg Yolk. Vitamin D Helps Control Urinary Incontinence As It Promotes Muscle Strength. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20308841)
4. Do Yoga. Yoga Helps Tighten Muscles That Control Urethral Sphincter. Yoga Also Relaxes The Body And Relieves The Body From Anxiety Which Is Related To Urinary Incontinence. (http://journals.lww.com/jpelvicsurgery/Abstract/2014/05000/Comparison_of_Mindfulness_Based_Stress_Reduction.6.aspx)
5. Drink Buchu Tea. Buchu Has Antimicrobial, Anti-Inflammatory And Diuretic Properties. It Also Strengthens Tissues Associated With Urination.
6. Drink Cleavers Tea. Cleavers Is A Herb That Is Used To Treat Overactive Bladder. It Also Protects The Bladder From Irritation As It Creates A Soothing Coating Around The Bladder. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821987/)
7. Meditate Often. Meditation Can Help You Control Your Body. Thus Reducing Urinary Incontinence. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090504161657.htm)
8. Try Acupuncture. Acupuncture Can Help Correct Kidney Imbalances And Help Stabilize Your Urinary System. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3786848/)
9. Drop Bad Habits Such As Alcohol Consumption And Cigarette Smoking. They Increase The Risk Of Having An Overactive Bladder.
10. Drink Adequate Amount Of Water But Not Too Much Water.
11. Take Gosha-Jinki-Gan. Studies Have Shown That This Herb Combination Supplement Improves Urination Frequency And Feelings Of Urgency Making It A Good Supplement For Urinary Incontinence. Like Other Home Remedies, Consult A Doctor For Adequate Dosage. (http://www.ics.org/Abstracts/Publish/44/000378.pdf)
12. Drink Horsetail Tea. Horsetail Helps To Heal Tissues And It Also Acts As A Mild Diuretic Which Would Help The Bladder Empty Naturally.
13. Lose Excess Weight To Reduce Pressure Exerted On The Pelvic.
Pin To Pinterest